An Unseen Scene

Gloverall now selling Jakes Shirts

Just saw the promotional email.
See link at:
https://www.gloverall.com/collections/jakes-shirts

#2 2024-04-27 00:41:05

FlatSixC

Re: Gloverall now selling Jakes Shirts

A step away from the individual, made to measure experience.
I’ve had two shirts from him - both excellent by the way.

The first time was when I submitted my measurements to him, I’m a fairly generic size in terms of collar and sleeve length. I specified to have no back of the collar button. When the shirt arrived, it had a back collar button, a minor detail which I decided to overlook as I assumed it was an oversight on his part.

The second time I ordered a shirt he had my measurements on file and the same thing happened.

I would still buy from Jake as I think his shirts are great and represent good value compared to other Ivy sources. I have no doubts that the shirts are prepared individually for customers, but I’m uncertain as to how much of a bespoke service it actually is.

On balance I would still get more excited about a deadstock Brooks Makers shirt!

Last edited by FlatSixC (2024-04-27 00:43:40)

#3 2024-04-27 23:14:25

RobbieB

I'm surprised that Gloverall are selling a limited selection of Jake shirts. I suppose it is the 'made in England' connection. Not keen on the shirts with a pocket with a button flap so I won't be buying any.
I like the Jake shirts but I notice that his prices have recently increased and most shirts I would buy are out of stock. I think he does make shirts to order, although for me, neck size and sleeve length are the only measurements I give.
FlatSixC- I think you should not have overlooked the back button mistake. You are paying for the correct details that you want.
I would also get more excited by a dead stock, made in USA Brooks shirt but it's good to have a present day source for good quality shirts made by a young bloke that knows his stuff.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#4 2024-04-29 01:13:14

Tomiskinky

I know Jake well, he lives just up the road. I know for a fact they are all hand made as I’ve been to all his workshops, from his early Silvertown location, to CS and now Soho.

Of course his prices have gone up, tell be something g that hasn’t? Even a pint in the slime pits of Wetherspoons have increased, the last bastion of the deep of pocket.

I couldn’t say how or why Gloveral are now stockists, my assumption would be it opens up his market to those outside of social media, it’s not like he runs press campaigns so you have to find new ways to market your products.

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2024-04-29 05:51:29)

#5 2024-04-29 04:34:46

Kingston1an

On Friday, after a trip around the excellent London Transport Museum in Acton Town, we popped into Hammersmith Wetherspoons. We had scampi and chips and cod and chips with Tanqueray 10 and tonic and a pint of Leffe. Cost was just over £9 each. Difficult to beat. The meals were fine. Spoons always have good ales on offer.

Snobs who write in to the Daily Mail to decry Spoons have normally never set foot in them.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#6 2024-04-29 05:45:04

Tomiskinky

I'm no snob, just find Tim Martin an unpleasant individual – haven't been in a Spoons since he said, instead of furloughing staff, that they should ' go and work in Tescos' see no reason why I should return, would rather support small local pubs where the owners are honest hard working individuals trying to make them profitable through all the obstacles thrown at them atm – would have thought most DM readers were regulars tbh.

#7 2024-04-29 06:14:27

Kingston1an

'The work for Tesco' comments were a twisted version of what he actually said. The Independent amongst others had to apologise.
https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/uk/jdwetherspoon2/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=236&newsid=1748748

He gets a lot of false press like the allegation he buys beers past their sell by date.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2024-04-29 06:15:02)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#8 2024-04-29 07:17:55

Tomiskinky

Never had an issue with his buying policy - his business model was good and obviously effective.

Board footer