You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » Cary Grant a Celebration of Style by Richard Torregrossa

#76 2006-08-29 01:31:17

Marc Grayson

Re: Cary Grant a Celebration of Style by Richard Torregrossa

Last edited by Marc Grayson (2006-08-29 01:36:41)

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#77 2006-08-29 01:52:46

Marc Grayson

I also think CG embodied more of a British style, given his roots and his Savile Row suits, Jermyn St shirts, and Lobb shoes, while I associate GC, born on a ranch in Montana and starring in several great Western films, with classic American style.

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#78 2006-08-29 07:19:20

Tomasso

I watched the TMC documentary, "Cary Grant: A Class Apart" last Saturday. I found it to be quite illuminating, especially in regard to CG's professionalism.  He worked very hard to master his craft and having done so, he made everything seem so effortless on screen. Hitchcock said that CG was the only actor that he never gave instruction to, he just put him in front of the camera. His special Oscar was inscribed,"for his unique mastery of the art of screen acting with the respect and affection of his colleagues". He wasn't just handsome, well dressed and well spoken.......He was excellent at what he did. I'd give "Cary Grant: A Class Apart", a hearty recommendation.

#79 2006-08-29 17:09:42

Marc Grayson

#80 2006-08-29 17:42:21

richt

#81 2006-08-29 17:44:21

richt

#82 2006-08-29 18:04:12

Marc Grayson

#83 2006-08-29 18:11:51

Marc Grayson

#84 2006-08-29 18:35:12

richt

#85 2006-08-29 18:40:50

richt

#86 2006-08-29 18:45:37

richt

I've got a Brioni story from a good source if anybody is interested.

A first-rate tailor was lined up to do the clothes for the first Pierce Brosnan Bond film, but Brioni came in and offered to do it for free and got the job.

Also, according to Savile Row's Stephen Lachter, a supposedly first-rate tailor with a 'name' was called in to do the clothes for the Avengers with Ralph Fiennes but they mucked it up and he and his team had to go in and re-do and fix everything.

Anybody got a good Savile Row anecdote?

#87 2006-08-29 18:50:28

Marc Grayson

I remember an interesting story Peter Bogdonavich, a close friend of CG, told in an interview once, which also shows CG's human side.  Though close, PB and CG
had dramatically different personalities, especially when it came to publicity. CG kept as low a profile as possible, and did his best to avoid bad publicity. He kept his personal life hidden, although everyone was interested in his marriages, divorces, etc.  But he never felt that his celebrity necessitated opening his personal life to the tabloids.

PB, while a talented director, relished publicity, especially during his relationship with model Cybill Shepherd. The two of them were the Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt of their day. 

CG was aghast at PB's conduct and thought PB's and CS's public relationship was inappropriate.  Evetually, the publicity PB courted backfired and his life spiraled downward in a series of personal and professional setbacks.  While PB and CS were doing the talk-show circuit and flaunting their happiness, CG pulled PB aside and said, "Peter, nobody cares that you are happy. Stop telling everyone how in love you are and how happy you are. It will make people hate you, because in general, people are NOT in love and people are NOT happy." 

PB related this story saying that only later in his life could he realize how right CG was.  CG always held information back from the public, knowing how unpredictable the public was and how easily they tired of celebrities.  CG was completely open in his professional life, and reserved in his private life, perhaps explaining the romance the public continues to have with CG to this day.

As a postscript, CG stuck by PB through his problem years, and at one point, Grant shared with him an analogy he thought of for how Hollywood worked...

"Becoming a movie star is something like getting on a streetcar. Actors and actresses are packed in like sardines. When I arrived in Hollywood, Carole Lombard, Gary Cooper, Marlene Dietrich, Warner Baxter, Greta Garbo, Fred Astaire, and others were crammed onto the car. A few stood, holding tightly to leather straps to avoid being pushed aside. Others were firmly seated in the center of the car. They were the big stars. At the front, new actors and actresses pushed and shoved to get aboard. Some made it and slowly moved toward the center.
When a new "star" came aboard, an old one had to be edged out the rear exit. The crowd was so big you were pushed right off. There was room for only so many and no more.

One well-known star, Adolphe Menjou, was constantly being pushed off the rear. He would pick himself up, brush himself off, and run to the front to fight his way aboard again. In a short time he was back in the center only to be pushed off once more. This went on for years. He never did get to sit down.

It took me quite a while to reach the center. When I did make it, I remained standing. I held on to that leather strap for dear life. Then Warner Baxter fell out the back, and I got to sit down.

When Gregory Peck got on, it was Ronald Colman who fell off.

The only man who refused to budge was Gary Cooper. Gary was firmly seated in the center of the car. He just leaned back, stuck those long legs of his out in the aisle, and tripped everyone who came along.

When Joan Fontaine got on, she stood right in front of me and held on to one of those leather straps. I naturally got to my feet, giving her my seat. Joan sat down and got an Academy Award!"

Last edited by Marc Grayson (2006-08-29 18:57:38)

#88 2006-08-29 19:11:15

Tomasso

#89 2006-08-30 09:55:41

richt

#90 2006-08-31 18:15:16

Marc Grayson

#91 2006-08-31 18:56:20

Marc Grayson

#92 2006-08-31 19:07:56

Marc Grayson

#93 2006-08-31 19:11:25

Marc Grayson

#94 2006-08-31 19:41:21

Tomasso

#95 2006-08-31 19:49:39

Tomasso

#96 2006-09-01 11:26:29

Will

Will's thoughts on classic men's clothing
http://www.asuitablewardrobe.net/

#97 2006-09-01 19:07:37

richt

#98 2006-09-01 19:11:05

richt

#99 2006-09-01 19:12:47

richt

#100 2006-09-01 19:18:14

richt

Did we jaw about CG's choice of scents? Green Irish Tweed by Creed and New Mown Hay by Floris were his favorites. Both well documented.

But I just talked to somebody at Acqua di Parma claiming that CG wore this scent, too. Anybody know anything about this? Or any opinions on the cologne itself?

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » Cary Grant a Celebration of Style by Richard Torregrossa

Board footer