You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-04 04:26:04

Terry Lean

London Life: WestEnd Style - The Shop We Lost -

http://www.iht.com/articles/1999/01/30/simpson.t.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpsons_of_Piccadilly

http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/29860-popup.html

Simpsons on Piccadilly used to be a major part of West End life of a certain sort...

There was a time when I'd have my hair cut by Michael in the basement branch of Trumpers there on a Saturday morning (He would dab their own 'Iced' cologne on your temples at the end of your haircut) and then pick up my laundry from the branch of Jeeves they had down there too. Lunch with my brother in the restaurant would follow, always remembering that vegetables were extra to whatever you chose. And then, while walking back home, I'd pop into Hatchards and be able to use my Simpsons charge card in there as well.

The mats in the lifts showed the day of the week and were changed every night...

A chap called Chris ran the coffee shop with an endless supply of funny stories...

The shirt section had imported Hathaways from Waterville, Maine, for £19.99 or something...

Everything was well made & well presented.

Nobody was ever in a hurry.

People would nod and smile as you passed.

No wonder it had to close -

It was far too good for us...

"One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing"

#2 2007-05-04 04:36:18

Terry Lean

Re: London Life: WestEnd Style - The Shop We Lost -

Or was it the Fortnum & Mason charge card you could use in Hatchards back then?

A Terry Titbit: Both Simpsons & Fortnum & Mason's have their own wells, interestingly enough. Why that is useful on Piccadilly I don't know.

"One of these mornings

#3 2007-05-04 05:33:19

SubtleCool
Ivy, but subtle with it.

Have you been to the bar at the top? I actually got a decent martini there a while back. Not been there for a couple of years though.

Like the bit about the unobtrusive service, always the sign of a good shop. I find what usually happens in mens clothes shops is the assistants are primed to pounce because most guys are indecisive about clothes. Gets on me wick, that.

By the way, that last phrase is an old one I am attempting to reintroduce. along with 'I'm right browned off'.

Me? Conspicuous? Lady, I'm the invisible man.

#4 2007-05-04 06:02:20

Terry Lean

Only for the view.
I must investigate their Martinis...

Any road up, good luck with Old English slang revival -

Mind how you go,

tel.

"One of these mornings

#5 2007-05-04 07:32:46

eg

Sorry, clueless colonial here -- I remember Simpsons as a large department store chain, now defunct, as are Eaton's, and soon, surely, The Bay.

Any connection beyond the name?

#6 2007-05-04 07:59:19

Terry Lean

Just a coincidence I think.
They were a bit of a one-off.

"One of these mornings

#7 2007-06-15 12:12:21

Terry Lean

"One of these mornings

#8 2007-06-15 14:51:47

Incroyable

That's an interesting bit about the sales assistants being retired army officers. Could you imagine a retired American army officer going into a department store as the sales?

Jukebox Babe

#9 2007-06-15 20:46:23

tom222222

In 1985 I had some Indian salesman try to sell me a Gloverall coat in three sizes too large: "Meant to be very loose fitting, sir!" well maybe not. But maybe he envisioned my figure twenty years on. Never did by a thing in that store.

#10 2007-06-15 20:48:02

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#11 2007-06-15 20:59:53

tom222222

that same
year I bought a summer weight Burberry trench coat at the Haymarket store... the old gent in charge shifted me off to some kid who was probably new but about my (then) age and that may have been the last time in my life when I got good service (that isn't true, the guys at my Press store are great), I demanded the kid find me a wool liner. He must have received his first decent commission. Dosen't surprise me that everything went down hill in the 90s when everyone began to make real money. They don't even wear morning coats at James Smith any more... O Tempora! O Mores!

Board footer